How to add payment methods in PrestaShop 1.5-1.6
Payment methods in PrestaShop are added and managed with payment modules. To use a payment method you have to install and enable the module corresponding to that method. PrestaShop comes prepackaged with some payment modules. Some of these modules (e.g. Bank wire, Payment by check) are not connected with any online third party payment gateways. So to use these payment methods you don't need a registration with a third party payment solution.
Some of the other modules are partner modules (e.g. PayPal, Authorize.net) for which you need a registration with the particular payment gateway. In case you want to use a third party payment gateway for which there's no module listed in the default PrestaShop installation, you can find modules for other payment solutions in the addons section of the official PrestaShop site.
To enable and use a payment method you need to complete the following basic steps:
- If the module doesn't come prepackaged with PrestaShop, you have to find it and buy and/or download it from the addons section of the PrestaShop site.
- You have to install the module. If the module is not prepackaged with PrestaShop, first you have to upload it to your PrestaShop hosting account.
- If the module is for a third party payment gateway, you have to register and create an account on the site of that payment gateway.
- You have to configure the settings of the payment module.
Installing a Payment Module
Payment modules are installed in the same way as other modules. Go to Modules menu>Modules sub-menu in the admin panel, select Payment and Gateways and click on the Install button for the module.
If the module is not prepackaged with PrestaShop or it's still not uploaded on your hosting account, you have to do that first. After you download the module on your local computer, go to Modules menu>Modules sub-menu in the admin panel, click on the button Add a new module and use the settings that appear to locate the module on your computer and upload it.
Configuring a Payment Module
Payment modules have some settings that you have to configure before the payment module becomes fully functional. For instance, for third party payment solutions you'll need to configure the options of the respective module using some of the information from your account with that payment gateway.
To configure the settings of a payment module, go to Modules menu>Modules sub-menu, select Payment and Gateways and click on the Configure button for the particular module. The button appears automatically once the module is installed.
For screenshots and some more details you can also visit the tutorial on how to add and manage payment methods in PrestaShop 1.5-1.6.
Was this answer helpful?
- How to disable the product comparison function in PrestaShop
- How to move the top search block within the header in PrestaShop
- How to enable and manage merchandise returns in PrestaShop 1.5-1.6
- How to manage the options for product preferences in PrestaShop 1.5-1.6
- How to remove or change the PrestaShop PayPal logo